Join S.L.E. Lupus Foundation: Get into the Loop™ and Learn About Lupus during May Lupus Awareness Month
Lupus Awareness Month starts today and the push is on to be on the lookout for this disease. If you often feel tired and achy, ask your healthcare professional if it could be lupus. And if you’re a doctor faced with a patient describing these symptoms, don’t dismiss her. Too often, lupus is not considered by either patients or healthcare professionals. That’s why the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation asks young women, patients, providers and the general public to join our cause: to make sure lupus is recognized and to get people diagnosed and treated quickly and appropriately.
We are very grateful to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg for issuing a proclamation from the Office of the Mayor City of New York designating May 2012 as Lupus Awareness Month — to get New Yorkers into the loop to understand the challenges of the disease and be able to recognize its symptoms.
Throughout the month, the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation is hosting many events online and in person to educate the public about this devastating disease that affects 1.5 million Americans, 90 percent of whom are women. For instance, on World Lupus Awareness Day, Thursday May 10, the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation will be at the crossroads of the country, amidst thousands streaming through Grand Central Terminal distributing educational materials and our signature orange loop bracelets to get the public on-board.
How you can help raise awareness of lupus:
- Wear orange, the symbol of the lupus movement. The color orange was chosen for its association with all we fight to give back to people with lupus — energy, vitality, cheer, warmth, and good health.
- Get into the Loop™ by ordering our inexpensive orange loop wristbands for friends, family, colleagues. The loop represents a nationwide community of people who care, and all proceeds go to support lupus research.
- Join a clinical trial. Learn more at www.LupusTrials.org
- Create a public service announcement. Upload it to YouTube and post it to www.Facebook.com/LupusNY. A couple of our favorite PSAs may even be featured on the LupusNY.org website.
- Run for a cure! Team Life Without Lupus is recruiting members for its 2012 ING New York City Marathon team this November. Learn more here
- Activate your avatar. Change your profile icon to one of these lupus awareness images. It’s an easy way to tell your friends on Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Google Talk, Yahoo, and AIM about the fight for life without lupus. (To download: right-click image and choose “Save Picture as...”)
- Share your story via social media: Use your Facebook status or YouTube account to tell your lupus story. Tweet (or post to Facebook) a new lupus fact each day in May. Use the information at http://www.lupusny.org/about-lupus to inform your updates.
- Encourage friends to join our fight at https://www.lupusny.org/help/get-involved.
- Participate in the following free online and in-person events spotlighting lupus.
Webinar Takes Lupus Education to a National Level:
In-Person Events at S.L.E. Lupus Foundation’s NYC Outreach Centers:
Note: Advance registration is recommended and for some events required. See below contact information for all events.
10th Anniversary Celebration – Bronx Outreach Center
May 2, 12:30 PM Bronx Outreach Center
Celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Bronx Outreach Center
Special Guest & Topic: Emotional Well Being & Coping with Depression
Living Life Healthy with Lupus: Looking and Feeling Good
May 5, 11 AM - 3 PM, Hospital For Special Surgery, Manhattan
Mini workshops and demonstrations focused on looking and feeling good. Registration required.
Five Wishes: Put Your Advance Healthcare Decisions in Writing
Offered twice: May 9, 2 PM, and June 28, 6 PM, Manhattan Headquarters
Five Wishes is the first living will that details your personal, emotional and spiritual needs, and your medical wishes.
Learn About Lupus
May 10, 10 AM - 4 PM, Grand Central Station, Manhattan
Stop by the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation booth where we will be educating thousands of commuters about lupus
Art Therapy Workshop
May 15, 7 PM, Brooklyn Outreach Center
The art of self-expression
Learn about Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities
May 23, 12:00 PM, Bronx Outreach Center
“The Gift” – Coping Using Poetry & Art
Offered twice: May 24, 6 PM and June 20, 2 PM, Manhattan Headquarters
Poetry and art workshop based on the poem, “The Gift,” by Czeslaw Milosz.
Medication Review Session
June 19, 1 PM Brooklyn Outreach Center
Ask Long Island University School of Pharmacy Pharmacist your medication questions
5th Anniversary Celebration – Brooklyn Outreach Center
June 19, 7 PM Brooklyn Outreach Center
Celebrate the 5th anniversary of the Brooklyn Outreach Center
Special Guest & Topic: ask Long Island University School of Pharmacy Pharmacist your medication questions
Program locations unless otherwise noted above:
1070 Southern Blvd.
Bronx, NY 10459
LIU Wellness, Recreation and Athletic Center
161 Ashland Place
Brooklyn, NY 11201
330 Seventh Ave.
New York, NY 10001